Simple smoked / roasted turkey
- 1 Whole turkey
- Caribeque Honey Heat Rub
- Caribeque AP All Purpose Rub
- Apple,cherry, pecan or orange wood chips
- If you purchase a frozen turkey, thaw the turkey in the refrigerator for a few days until completely defrosted all the way through.
- Factor in one day of thawing time for every four pounds of bird into your prep time. This might take up to a 4 days, depending on the size of the turkey.
- Brine your turkey
- Preheat your grill to 225 degrees
- If smoking your turkey add cherry, apple, peach or orange wood chips Fruit chips give the bird a sweet flavor and gives great color
- Remove all the giblets from inside the bird and discard unless you are making gravy with them
- Remove your bird from the brine and pat it dry completely with paper towels.
- Inject your bird with this recipe ( Butter based injection recipe )
- Season your turkey with Caribeque AP Rub for a savory turkey or with Caribeque Honey Heat Rub for a sweet heat twist!
- About 1 hour in turns the temperature up to 300-325 to get that skin crisped up.
- Tent your entire turkey and/or cover the wings so they don’t burn!
- Once you reach an internal temp of 165 - 170 degrees, remove turkey from grill and allow to sit for at least 15-20 minutes before carving to allow juices to redistribute.
- Carve and enjoy