PASTELÓN (SWEET PLANTAIN “LASAGNA” or " PIE " )
PASTELÓN (SWEET PLANTAIN “LASAGNA”)
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion,minced
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, minced
- ½ chopped cilantro
- 2 tbs Caribeque Island Thyme Seasoning
- 2 tsp oregano
- 4 -5 plantains, peeled and sliced into strips
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbs milk
- 2 cups white shredded cheese
- 1 package of cream cheese
- vegetable oil
- Cast Iron Skillet or 12 inch rectangular pan
- Pre-heat your cooker to 350 degrees.
- Combine, beef, onion, pepper, garlic, cilantro, Caribeque Island Thyme seasoning, oregano, and mix well.
- Heat a large skillet at medium-high heat with 2 Tbs of olive oil, add meat mixture.
- Cook beef until brown and of the juices bubble up. Mix and let simmer for 10 minutes, set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan with vegetable oil, just enough to coat the bottom. Fry plantains for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and slightly crispy. Drain on a plate with paper towel, set aside.
- To assemble pastelon: Take your prepared rectangular pan or cast iron skillet and start with a layer of plantains, then beef, then a fistful of cheese and sliced cream cheese, repeat. You want to finish with cheese and plantains. Beat 3 eggs with 2 Tbs of milk, pour between each layer over the pastelón. Let it sit for a minute allowing the egg to soak in. Top off with just a bit more cheese.
- Place in a cast iron skillet or whatever you are using on the egg at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cook foiled for 1 then uncoverd for the last 15 minutes
- Let cool and slice ! Enjoy