Cast Iron Skillet Apple Pie
Cast iron and apple pie, this has to be good!
This is an amazingly simple recipe using all store bought ingredients.
If you choose to make your own dough and filling that works also
This recipe can be replicated in your oven, grill or smoker
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, plus 1 tablespoon melted for crust
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts (I use Pillsbury)
- 1-2 (21-ounce) cans apple pie filling
- 2 tsp Caribeque Island Thyme
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar ( 1/4 cup sugar & 1 tbs cinnamon )
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Preheat your grill / smoker /oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the brown sugar and 1/2 cup of butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet over medium - low heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and cover with one pie crust.
- Add two teaspoons of Island Thyme to the pie filling as well as 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Pour the apple pie filling in the crust, and cover with the second crust.
- Brush with the 1 tablespoon of melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar ( 1/4 cup sugar & 1 tbs cinnamon )
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. serve hot, top with a generous dollop of vanilla ice cream.